Powered By Blogger

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Get over yourself!

When training for a race, we all pile on the miles, pseudo-attempting to watch what we eat, drink, and do to “get the most” out of our training, avoid injury, and make it to the marathon to finish in our own personal PR.

However, if we think about it, to get the most out of running we have to have a relationship with running. No, I am not recommending you take your Dri-Fit fabrics and favorite running shoes out on a date, but instead, stop being selfish! Oh yeah, that’s right, I just went there!

It’s true and I am somewhat sorry (yet honest) if that hurt your feelings. But, the short truth is--you truly have to give without expected reciprocation to get the most out of running. And, in the end, you will truly be amazed at the results. Like any relationship, if you go into it without giving freely of yourself and keep using “I” (I want this, I want that, I, I, I …) then pretty soon, that selfish behavior ruins the relationship. In running, if you listen to yourself and keep hearing “I will start eating right tomorrow, I don’t feel like running today, etc.,” then how could you expect to get anything back?

In your running, and in your life, if you give freely, and with everything you have; you will truly be amazed at the result. As Steve Prefontaine said “To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.” Where in that statement do you hear anything about what he expected in return?

Is it worth trying? Well, chances are you don’t feel like you’re getting everything you want and need out of running right now. And frankly, that’s a pretty selfish place to be. So, what do you have to lose? Give more to your relationship with running than you expect, and see what you get back. Like the title of this post says, get over yourself. If you do, I promise you’ll be amazed!

No comments:

Post a Comment